Hi, my name is Etienne and I listen to Kid Rock for many years, I like all his stuff especially his firsts albums (from Grits Sandwiches to the History of Rock), Bob Ritchie is not very famous in France, so I consider myself as one of the few French Kid Rock fans.
Months ago, I wrote an article in my old blog which is deleted since. But I kept the article in my computer and I translate it in English for you. There are probably some "grammatical mistakes" in it so I apologize for that.
The article is about Kid Rock and why people use to blame his music, lyrics etc...
It is in the form of a dialogue.
"Kid Rock isn't a real artist, he uses songs that aren't his to make him famous."
- Wrong ! Bob uses many samples in his songs but it makes his songs sound good ! In songs like "American Bad Ass" and "All Summer Long" it is a fact that he uses more samples than his other songs and everyone can hear it. But that doesn't mean Kid Rock isn't a real artist, lots of songs in his albums and ALL his live performances show that he has a lot of talent and he is very skilled.
"Kid Rock doesn't play any instrument. He's a poser"
- Totally wrong, it's the worst thing I've never heard ! Bob plays a lot of instruments, dude. He plays dobro, guitar, bass, drums, keyboards, organs, harmonica, etc... And when he uses his talkbox to sing "Cowboy" like Joe Perry sings Aerosmith's "Sweet Emotion", I'm totally out of my mind, it sounds vey good man !What else can I say ? Ah, Kid Rock often shows kis skills on many instruments in the last songs of his concerts, he raps "Three Sheets to the Wind" or "My Name Is Rock", then scratches the turntables, then makes one or two guitar solos, then uses the keyboards, and ends the song on the drums. How many people can do that ?
"Kid Rock is a sell-out"
- "I'm sick of pop-music like the Backstreet Boys, what about Britney Spears ? You can tell that little hooker she can kiss my ass. You can roll with the fake or be my boy, come on roll with Rock, 'cause I'm a motherfuckin' Cowboy baby !" Bob Ritchie says.
If you think Kid Rock is a sell-out, you have lots of things to learn in your life.
"Kid Rock is very vulgar, his lyrics are full of insults and he always show his middle fingers."
- You know what ? There are lots of insults in rap, and there are lots of insults in Rock'n'roll, Bob Ritchie makes rap-rock, so if there are more insults in his lyrics than other musicians, I find this normal. And who doesn't like songs that tell things our parents warned us to say ? Futhermore, some Kid Rock rhymes that contain insults are very funny here's an example :
"Kid Rock, ya know I get more pussy then a tampon
Kid, to the clip, to the grip, to the flip
Stood back, to the slap, to my nuts in your butt"
"Kid Rock is sexist."
- Why do you say this ? Maybe because Bob often uses the word "bitch" ? Even if I'm french and I don't know anything about american tendencies, nowadays the word "bitch" isn't only for women but for people who need to be threatened like hookers.
Some people may think Bob is sexist because there are strippers in his concerts. But what's the problem ? Strippers aren't whores and I've never heard that Bob disrespects women. Good women love Kid Rock !
"Kid Rock is for the Iraq War. He participated in USO Shows and played in Baghdad."
Kid Rock's habits doesn't affect his music, I think. Plus, I think Kid Rock is a Patriot, and being a Patriot is better than being nationalist.
I cannot really tell things about Kid Rock and his political views, or the Iraq War, I'm French, I don't live in the same country as Kid Rock, I'm not concerned by the Iraq War so I'm not the good guy to tell if it's good or bad, you know.
"Kid Rock is a Lynyrd Skynyrd wannabe."
- Does he change his name for "Van Zant" ? No. Don't be stupid, he's a fan, not a wannabe.
"Kid Rock is a racist."
- Please, don't be an idiot, Bob dated many black women in his life, the mother of his son is black, as well as his ex-girlfriend pornstar Midori. His former bassist Mike Bradford is also black. Kid Rock is absolutely not a racist. Altough there are idiots like Insane Clown Posse who used to say the inverse.
"Kid Rock stole everything, and he invented nothing."
- Kid Rock made cover songs as tributes to his favourite artists. he revisits his childhood classics. And there are a lot of things that have already been invented in music, but Bob invented his own sound, I don't know lots of musicians who do exactly what he does. And after all, who didn't relate a joke and thought he was the inventor of it ?
"Kid Rock's lyrics aren't politicized like many cool bands like RATM"
- And this is what I like in Bob's music. I don't need people to tell me what I must think. I can make my own opinion about political things. I want musicians who use emotions and play songs with their motherfuckin' heart.
"Kid Rock blames homos in songs Fuck Off and American Bad Ass".
- No, in Fuck Off, Eminem blames homos, and in American Bad Ass, Bob simply tells that he's not gay and he doesn't play with asses.
"Kid Rock narrates his childhood as he was raised in a poor family but his father was rich."
- It's wrong, Kid Rock explained that he was raised in a "middle-class family", not a poor family. But it is well-known that Bob knew what poverty is, he lived in Detroit and wasn't rich before his DWAC album.